3.06.2010

'Possum, Chip, Little Foot and The Neighbors

This little resident of Limberlost saw the WELCOME mat at the front door and stopped by for tea today. I was very happy to see him out-and-about after such a long cold winter.



"Have you seen my friend Chip?", he asked, taking a tiny sip of sweetened tea from the bottle cap I had set just inside the door (the Lady does not allow all creatures to enjoy their tea at the table).

"Why, yes I have!", I responded. "He is sleeping in a special box on my porch for a few days, eating peanuts and slowly waking up from his long winter's sleep."

"Is he O.K? Is Chip O.K?", he asked.

"Yes, yes, Chip is doing just fine", I assured 'Possum. "But he did have an accident and he has a sore paw. "

I could tell 'Possum was very concerned about this news. His whiskers drooped as he listened. So I continued, "Chip thought a mouse trap was a toy while he was still very sleepy from his winter's nap. As he was playing with it, it snapped and bruised his paw. But I think he will be fine", I assured 'Possum, "He has been getting a lot of rest in a warm box on my porch."

'Possum relaxed as I continued, "Today, 'Possum, Chip ate 4 nuts for breakfast and he is steadily regaining his energy. Very soon he will be back in his good old Chipmunk form. He will most surely be outside to play this afternoon, when it is warmer, or tomorrow at the latest if he should feel like having one more day's rest on the porch."

"I'll know more when he wakes up from his morning nap", I continued.

"Do you remember", I asked 'Possum, "when I hurt my hand so badly two winters ago while making firewood for the house. I needed lots of rest and good things to eat. But, especially I needed gentleness and time to heal. Well, it is the same for Chip just now. But I am sure he will be fine."

"Thank you for looking after Chip" 'Possum said, looking much relieved. His little dark ears pointed straight up as he continued, "I am glad to know he will be fine, and I will remember to be especially careful with his paw when I play with him - for the first few days at least!"

"Will your grandson, Little Foot, and his Mom and Dad be coming to visit this spring?", 'Possum asked, his whiskers now much higher on his face, his naked tail coiling about his bottom, and his eyes glistening as he waited for my answer.

"I don't know, 'Possum. Little Foot and his folks live so far away. Seattle is such a great distance from Limberlost. It is all the way to where the sun drops into the sea. And that is a long journey for them."

"Would you mind if I send Little Foot your picture today?", I continued. "If he can not visit this spring, at least he can look at your photo and know that he has a friend named 'Possum at Limberlost."

I could see how excited 'Possum was, thinking about seeing Little Foot again. When Little Foot visited in the fall, the animals could only see him from a distance. Of course, as usual, the birds and the insects got the closest look. But Little Foot's parents kept him tightly covered up and snuggly in his blanket making it difficult to see him.

"And Chip, make sure you tell him about Chip", cried 'Possum.

"Oh yes", I promised, "and I'll make sure I tell him about Chip, Owl, and Ralph, and all of the other creatures of the Limberlost."

"Yes", 'Possum agreed, "tell him what good friends we all are, and tell him that all of the animals of these woods are looking forward to seeing him again someday! When he was here the first time, you know, he was so small. And I remember", 'Possum concluded, "he made squeeking sounds - just like one of Ralph's squirrel babies!"

"As he grows", I reminded 'Possum, "he will makes noises that sound human, more like his parents, and me."

'Possum's nose was now very, very pink and sniffing the air in circles in front of him, and I knew that meant that he would be on his way soon. 'Possum always signals his intention to leave with his nose, much like some humans will signal with their words, "we must be going now".

'Possum, I could tell, was happy to know the latest neighborhood news. And he was especially glad to know that Chip was fine, having not seen him for a few days.

As he waddled away, his pink tail riding just above the icy path, he looked over his shoulder and shouted, "Barred Owl saw the Census Taker just across the river yesterday, at the neighborhood across the valley."

"If the Census Taker should ask about the animal families living at Limberlost", he continued, his soft voice getting softer as he walked away, "please don't let her know where our homes are. Not all people understand our ways."

"Together, we have everything we need already", his voice now a whisper as he rounded the path and went out of sight.




















It was then that I remembered just how lucky I am. To have my Limberlost in the Minnesota woods, built gently into the side of the hill, with the warming late winter sun shining in.

I know Little Foot will be coming to vist again.

And, finally, I remembered how I have such good neighbors to visit for tea - and upon whom I know I can always rely for wise conversation!

"CHIP" - Tamias striatus

"'POSSUM" - Didelphis virginiana

"OWL" - Strix varia

Homo sapiens

"RALPH" - Sciurus carolinensis

Census taker
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

glad you found your slice of heaven right here on earth. spring...yeah, spring!

March 07, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A charming little tale....are you on face book??

March 07, 2010  
Blogger Anne said...

Andrew enjoyed seeing the picture of the Possum and I'm sure if we were there he would squeal in delight! So much Possum probably would go and hide like his feline friends in Washington. I do not think we will visit this spring, so Possum will have to stick around until summer or so!

March 09, 2010  
Blogger Eileen said...

These friends are very lucky to have you living where they do. Thanks for writing and sharing such a delightful story.

March 09, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home